Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I just got my puppy on Monday and she is unusually lethargic

Customer Question

I just got my puppy on Monday and she is unusually lethargic today, also drinking more water than the last two days. She doesn't have all of her vaccinations yet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Roo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rui?
Customer: I live in a high rise so I have had to let her eliminate where other dogs have been. Also, her stool has gotten progressively runnier since the first time she eliminated around me.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

"Unusual lethargy" concomitant with diarrhea can simply represent dehydration due to fluid loss through the bowels but parvovirus must be an important differential diagnosis in such a pup - particularly because Roo hadn't received all of her vaccinations yet. There is a profound depression that we recognize in parvo dogs and so it would be prudent to have a vet attend to Roo at your earliest convenience if only to see if that depression is what you're describing as an unusual lethargy. An in-house parvo test can be performed while you wait. Hopefully it will be negative and this will give a vet the opportunity to give Roo supplemental fluids and electrolytes by needle while you wait. Her worming history and need can be evaluated at that time as well. Intestinal parasites are a common cause of diarrhea at Roo's age.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.