Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My 25 lb dog just ate 4 25 mg Benadryl and a 500 mg

Customer Question

my 25 lb dog just ate 4 25 mg Benadryl and a 500 mg cephalexin pill that was meant for my other dogs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chopper and he's around 6 or 7 I think
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chopper?
Customer: no thats it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

While both of these medicines are rather safe in most cases, the Benadryl dose is a significantly higher dose than is typically used in a dog of Chopper's weight. As a result, I'd consider the safest approach to be to try to have Chopper vomit up the medications. This is best done in the veterinary clinic with an injection of Apomorphine, however, if veterinary care is not available, Hydrogen Peroxide 3% can be given orally to induce vomiting at home. A dog of Chopper's weight would typically be given 20-25mL of peroxide, which is about 1-1/2 tablespoons. Typically, vomiting occurs within about 10 minutes.