Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My pug/shihtzu mix had diarrhea yesterday then last night I

Customer Question

my pug/shihtzu mix had diarrhea yesterday then last night I woke up to her panting and acting strange then she started vomiting. I took her to the emercency vet nd the said they could give her something for the vomiting or just take her home and keep her hydrated I didn't have the hundreds of dollars for that so I took her home the vet said I was probably because I changed her food a week ago. I took her home and about 20 minutes later she started panting again and then started rubbing her face on the carpet I picked her up and her face was very red her eyes and jowels were very swollen. I took her back to the vet and the gave her a couple of shots. They said it was an allergic reaction and were very rude actually beacause I didn't have the money for a full treatment and tests. I am very worried what do you think could be going on?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your pug eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I am aware of but can't be sure as I have my daughter and children staying with me and when my daughter lets her out she doesn't listen to her very well and my daughter doesn't pay as close of attention as me I did give her a new dog food as a treat 2 days ago one of the brands you get in the refrigerated section. She has been acting pretty itchy the last few days. Can an allergc reaction cause vomiting and diarrhea?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your pug?
Customer: not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Joan replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years.?

Can you tell me what food you are feeding?

Was she changed gradually?

Was she outside where she could get into plants and other allergens?