Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Honey is a chihuahua mix, maybe a chiweiner, who weighs 22

Customer Question

Honey is a chihuahua mix, maybe a chiweiner, who weighs 22 lbs. I try to restrict food, but she eats stuff outdoors when I do, including deer poop or any other thing she can swallow. Her vet says she should only weigh 12-14 lb, so she needs to be at least 1/3 slimmer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Honey, about 5 yrs. She was fat when she came here, and has never been down to 14 lbs since. She is always hungry and begging for food or eating something that she has unearthed. I believe the dashound or corgi part (not sure which) tends to overweight genetically.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Honey?
Customer: I don't know. She was ran over by a small pickup, at the pelvis area a couple of years ago, so may be less active that she otherwise would be. She may be somewhat anxious as she was apparently abandoned or got lost and wound up in my yard. Tho I and the ASPCA advertised, no takers.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 9 months ago.

HI. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about this girl. What is her name? So your main concern is trying to get a plan set up to help her lose weight? Did your vet present some options there?