Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a healthy 4 month old female calvelier spaniel. She

Customer Question

I have a healthy 4 month old female calvelier king Charles spaniel. She is extremely energetic. She plays every day with my golden retriever getting a lot of exercise. Problem is occasionally she yelps in pain and reaches for her hind leg. The yelp is sudden, in the pen, next to me, sleeping or playing. She yelps once to maybe 4 or 5 times quickly then she's back to what she was doing previously. I've read some about SM. She doesn't have any of the other symptoms. Any ideas. I take her to my vet regularly and will ask him. I'm looking for another opinion.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry to hear about your puppy having these painful episodes.

Sorry, terrible with abbreviations; what do you mean by SM? Syringomyelia or Chiari like malformation? That indeed is the first thing to check for in a Cavalier this young that is yelping in pain. Pain is the first thing seen in these dogs. Scratching at the head and neck are another. I would not wait until she gets more symptoms, I would have her checked for this condition as soon as you can.

You can start her on pain medication such as tramadol and see if that helps, but getting a diagnosis is best so you know what to expect.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent; I did not hear back from you. Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wasted my time. I told you she was otherwise healthy. Your whole paragraph was about what I had pretty much allready disregarded. Turns out less is more. She had an anal gland problem. That has been taken care of. Just a heads up. You might want to get your head around medical abbreviations.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I had only opened the conversation, and was waiting to hear back from you. I am glad that she is doing better; thank you for the update.

The initials SM could stand for many different things and so in veterinary medicine at least we call syringomyelia by its name, not SM.

Thank you for the update.