Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 8 year old haired terrior got attacked by bigger dogs,

Customer Question

my 8 year old long haired terrior got attacked by bigger dogs, only teeth bites, no open tears, 1100 dollars later, he is good, but has 3 absess, I can not take him to vet, what can I do at home
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: rusty
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rusty?
Customer: no, he is good
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Where are the abscesses located?

2- Are they draining?

3- Is he currently on any medications? If so, what are the names?

4- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he has 2 on his right side about 5 inches above leg, no they are not draining, but not getting any bigger, no meds, he has had them since last Saturday

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
k, thank u

Friend, when treating abscesses of the skin there are several components that need to be established:

1- The abscess must be drained, some times we actually leave drains in place so what we can flush the wound. If it is not drained then healing takes longer and it is more difficult for the antibiotics to clear the infection.

2- There should be appropriate antibiotics on board.

3- Pain management.

I understand you have spend a lot of money. But, unfortunately you are very limited as to what you can do at home. Your dog will need to be re-checked by a veterinarian to drain the abscess and dispense oral antibiotics and pain killers. Once the abscesses are opened this is what you do at home:

1- Do not let him lick the affected area. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store or vet's office to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day. The wound should heal from the inside out.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

Note: If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, thank u for ur help!

You're welcome.