Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 9yr old Newfie has lost most of her hair and has oily

Customer Question

my 9yr old Newfie has lost most of her hair and has oily skin - so oily it comes off as black greasy spots on the floor. She is skin and bones. She had blood work done and was put on thyroid medicine but it didn't make any difference. The vet feels something besides the skin problem is going on but I can't afford extensive testing. She eats well ( but still skinny) and has not problems with joints. Mostly I'd like to clear up her skin.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Good morning, Susan. When was the last time that she had blood work performed? Do you have a copy to share?

Any other issues aside from skin problems? Vomiting? Diarrhea?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't have a copy of the blood work. It was about 9 months ago. At that point the vet ruled out diabetes and said thyroid was borderline and started her on the thyroid medicine twice a day. I discontinued the thyroid medicine a couple of months ago since she was already so skinny and it wasn't helping anything else, including the hair loss.

No vomiting, no diarrhea. still wags her tail, still eats a lot, still gets up and down, no problem.

Would you be able to acquire a copy and share it so that I may see what was performed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'll try. I have a class to teach later on so I won't get back to you right away.

Also, I forgot to tell you this, her eyes are always irritated and often with discharge. I use saline (like for contacts) to clean them up and put an eye ointment in. the ointment is Vetropolycin. I've gone through 3 tubes of it but she still has eye discharge often.

No worries, I will be on later so this is no issue.

Is she on any medications at this time?

How long have the eye issues been a concern for her? Same amount of time?

Do you recall what type of shampoo was used previously on her?

Answer at your convenience. I'll be on later.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I just got home. I asked for a copy of the blood work to be emailed to me. I haven't heard from them yet.

The shampoo is called Malaseb.

No other medication escept the eye ointment. Yes, I think the eye problem started about the same time as the skin problem and the losing weight.

Checking in. Any email yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No. I'll call them again

No worries. There's no rush. I didn't want you to think I'd dropped off the line. I'll be available when the email comes through.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a copy of the blood work. Don't know how to get it to you. I'm not very good at this computer technology. I can forward the email to me if I have an email address to forward it to. I don't know how to scan it in and then send it though. Of course I can always just write down what it says.

I think all of the options from above but forwarding the email will work. The information needs to be posted in this area.

There is an attachment function on the page that looks like a paperclip. Alternately, you can use tinypic.com to upload it and then share the link back, as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Do you have a specific email for me to forward it to?

That's the problem, there's not an email to forward to. The information needs to be posted to our chat box. Are you able to do so?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I haven't been home and have another class to teach in about an hour. No I don't know how to do that. I'll ask my daughter or daughter-in-law and try to get back to you.

Ok.