Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 4.5 bl chihuahua was vomiting several times last night. I

Customer Question

My 4.5 bl chihuahua was vomiting several times last night. I am concerned that he may have eaten something bad on the floor. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you know what he ate off the floor?

2- How is he doing now?

3- How many hours since he last vomited?

4- What was in the vomit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know what he ate. He looks ok. 2 hours. Food and water.

1- Any other symptoms?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How many times has he vomited?

4- Did he ever vomit without food in it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. No. 4 times. No.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. Possible causes could be esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, ingestion of a foreign body or even part of a systemic disease.

I am going to make some recommendations below, if he continues to regurgitate the next step would be a hands on examination with family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. This is what I would try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no regurgitation, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.