Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

She's acting strange. Looks exhausted. I woke up to her

Customer Question

She's acting strange. Looks exhausted. I woke up to her coughing and then she started whining. And then swaying a little.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sadie 11years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: She has had allergic reactions in the past to bee stings and pollen.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Sadie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Sadie this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. We certainly have to keep an allergic reaction in mind here as well here with Sadie, although typically this would cause hives and potentially a respiratory issue rather than the coughing, swaying and whining you have been seeing. If she seems to be in pain or at all distressed or in discomfort, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. The swaying and coughing most worry me and could certainly be an indicator of a potential toxicity or even a primary cardiovascular issue. Whatever the case, for now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Sadie and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she seems to be distressed now, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.