Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

He has fleas, Herbert 16 months, Ive just used a killing

Customer Question

He has fleas
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Herbert 16 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Herbert?
Customer: Ive just used a killing shampoo
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** am very sorry to hear that Herbert has fleas. What exactly is your question? I will be happy to answer the question for you, but in the mean time, I will give you some basic information about fleas and treating your pet and home.

Ideally, you should use either a topical or oral flea treatment product from your veterinarian (I prefer Nexgard and oral chewable tablet or a topical medication such as Advantix) as over the counter medications often have more complications with them (seizures, skin problems, etc.) When treating, you do have to treat for a minimum of 3-4 months to break the life cycle of the flea.

You will also need to treat your house, yard, and anywhere else that your dog has spent time (such as the car).

If you have any other pets in the house, then they will also have to treat them. You do not need to treat birds or fish, but other mammals do need to be treated. You also must be very careful with topical medications in cats and rabbits as the wrong medication can kill them.

There is more information on fleas and treatments at this is website made for the general public by veterinarians so that you can have accurate information.

As I mentioned, if you have another specific question or I have not answered what you need, please let me know and I will address that question or questions. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

I hope Herbert feels better soon!