Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a 3 month old puppy that usually has a healthy

Customer Question

I have a 3 month old puppy that usually has a healthy appetite and he ate fine this morning. He had more bowel movements than normal and they weren't really running or anything his normal. Then this afternoon he started vomiting what looked like water and I just gave him water 10 mins ago and he just threw it up but it was foamy and there was mucus looking stuff in it will what looked like speckles of blood...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cash?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything?

2- Is he lethargic?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Breed?

5- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He could have gotten into something.
No he isnt lethargic.
He is maybe 25pounds
He is Husky,Lab, and German Shepherd
His gums are pink

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, thanks

Friend, when we see evidence of blood in the vomit this suggest that there is something damaging the wall of either the esophagus, stomach or first part of the intestines. This can be caused by many different medical disorders. It will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. However, in a puppy ingestion of a foreign body is a very common cause. Other possible causes are: Toxicity, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give him gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.