Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My dog just stole a rib bone. I believe she ate the whole

Customer Question

My dog just stole a rib bone. I believe she ate the whole bone. She is a Yorkshire terrier mix, so very small- about 12 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your Yorkshire terrier will be able to digest that. What is the Yorkshire terrier's name and age?
Customer: She is 15 months old, her name is sushi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sushi?
Customer: No, she is otherwise in great health
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Unfortunately in this situation we cannot induce vomiting because the rib can have sharp edges and do more damage to the esophagus on the way up so at this point all we can do is a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed

1.) Feed 2 pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help bulk up the foreign body to hopefully push them through and protect the edges from causing damage

4.) Monitor for signs of the material coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the foreign material through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if the rib passes on its own

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your Yorkie doing? I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman