Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 8 month old puppy is having problems. We noticed her

Customer Question

Hello. My 8 month old puppy is having problems. We noticed her becoming sluggish Sunday morning. By late afternoon she seemed to be getting better, then last night she really just wanted to sleep. As of this morning she is leaking a whitish substance ( excessive) from her vagina, and drooling. By this afternoon she is not eating anything. She will drink a little water but not much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Meeka
JA: Huh?
Customer: Her name is meeka
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Meeka?
Customer: She is up to date to all of her shots. She is not spade.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that Meeka is not feeling well today. I am terribly concerned about an infection in her uterus called a pyometra. Even though it is not common in dogs of her age the white material does make me inclined to believe this might be the case. Often there is a potent odor as well but the lethargy, reduced appetite, and discharge makes this the primary differential for her symptoms. CLICK HERE for more information but this can potentially be a true emergency as the uterus fills with purulent discharge and can make her systemically ill.

Diagnosis is with x-rays and bloodwork and if this is the diagnosis surgery to remove the uterus is key for a full recovery

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. If her temperature rectally is >103.5, her lethargy progresses tonight, her gums are sticky or pale/ yellow/ blue then please consider a veterinary er tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Meeka doing? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!