Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

A friend's dog got bit by a bee on Sat. and she took the

Customer Question

a friend's dog got bit by a bee on Sat. and she took the stinger out and it has a white spot where the bee bit her. Late this afternoon she started shaking and she is still shaking. Is there anything to give her tonight over the counter until tomorrow or should she take her to an emergency vet tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- To make sure I got this right, she had not shown any symptoms since Saturday, correct?

2- Is she shaking like if she was cold?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- How old is she?

5- Breed?

6- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She started shaking on Monday, she is shaking like she is cold. She feels very warm and her nose is dry. She is nine years old and she is a malteise.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She is not eating much and looks very sad.

1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Can you take her rectal temperature?

3- Any swelling in the area of the sting?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
her gums are pink and it is a little swollen in the area she was bit, but unable to take a temperature. She is warm to the touch but not hot.

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
two and half pounds.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I am not 100% convinced this is related to the bee sting. You see, I would expect the worst symptoms to occur during the first 1-2 days, not the 3rd day. Her shaking could be a sign of a fever or another source of pain like neuromuscular or abdominal pain, etc. As a precaution you can start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 2.5mg every 12 hours, you will need liquid benadryl for children to get such a small amount. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not give over the counter pain killers, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may need to use. Follow up with family vet in the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.