Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I'm quite sure my dog has a hairball, trying to figure out

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I'm quite sure my dog has a hairball, trying to figure out if she needs to go to vet, since it's been at it's worst today. She was a rescue, adopted her a year ago, and I noticed signs of something that wasn't coming up quite early? She is a small dog with very long hair. She coughs, and when she does I give her olive oil and it seems to help. This morning, she woke of coughing/choking, very scary. Olive oil didn't help much. Went on an hour or so, nothing really came up. we slept, and she seemed better. We went for afternoon walk, and I noticed on way back that she'd thrown up, because there was squash around her face (her breakfast). Didn't see her throw-up, don't know if hairball was in it. Worried it's constricting her breathing and food intake. She has vomited couple times last couple weeks. A little low on energy. I feel like she's not always getting full breaths in. She was found on street before spca, don't know her history. Should I take her to vet now? I read giving her some vaseline? What can I do in the immediate to make sure she's safe?
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Do I have to pay for this service?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I'm so sorry its taken this long to hear back from an Expert.

I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Can you attach a video of the episodes that you're seeing?