Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My English bulldog has blood in her stool and diarrhea the

Customer Question

My English bulldog has blood in her stool and diarrhea the last few days. But she seems normal. I recently changed her food. Could that be a cause or what do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the English bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Bella. 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No. I think she is healthy. I just changed her food like 3 days ago, now she has diarrhea and blood in her stool
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 5 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with Bella today. Can you tell me..are you seeing a lot of blood in her stool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Today was more than other two days. A reasonable amount I would say. But still more poop than blood

Ok, thank you for the additional information. A reasonable amount of blood in the stool can lead to fairly severe dehydration. It is definitely possible that the diet change has resulted in the bloody diarrhea, but to be sure, a fecal test to rule out gastrointestinal parasites would be a good idea. Often times, when diarrhea is bloody, dogs need medications to help recover. Is Bella's appetite normal? Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She has a few times. None today but once yesterday and day before. Her appetite and general health seems pretty normal

Ok, great to hear she is not vomiting today. I recommend calling your vet to set up an appointment. If you can collect a fecal sample to bring with you, they can check for parasites that may require specific medication. They also can give Bella some fluids to rehydrate her. Vomiting and diarrhea is a bad combination, so rehydration will be the best way to help her feel better as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you. I'll book an appointment tomorrow. What do you think it sounds like?

It could be that Bella is having a reaction to something in the new food. Another possibilty is that she is very sensitive to changes in her diet, so simply switching from one food to another caused severe upset. If a fecal test is negative, and if your vet finds nothing else wrong, than it is likely a dietary issue. If this is the case, then in the future it will be important to make any diet changes very slowly over a couple of weeks to minimize another upset tummy episode. Some dogs are just very sensitive.

Please feel free to reach out if I can assist you further. Good luck with Bella!

With appreciation,

Dr. KV

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks very much

You're welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katie Volat