Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog makes choking sounds intermittently and the sounds

Customer Question

My dog makes choking sounds intermittently and the sounds like he's going to vomit, but nothing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not sure apparently this started approx 2 weeks ago per my husband. I was in Japan. However, it seems to be occuring more frequently.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sparky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sparkly?
Customer: He's a terrier mix, overweight weighs approx 24lbs and about 2-3 months ago I took him to the vets because he was having trouble jumping on couch. Was having pain
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What breed is your dog?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Age?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Terrier mix, weighs approx 24lbs (he's a horde of food) , he was a rescue so closest guess he is about 9-10 yrs old. The only previous medical problem was about 2-3 months ago he began having difficulty jumping up on out couches. He was treated by a vet with motion and over a few days he was better.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the hacking/gagging sound you describe could be related to many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An upper respiratory infection (a cold); a collapsing trachea, this is when the rings in the trachea become weak and collapse the patient will then hack to re-open the trachea lumen; heart disease, often patients with an underlying heart disease can gag/hack in a similar manner.

In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to listen to his heart and lungs to make certain this is not related to his heart. In the meantime, I would start him on Robitussin DM (cough; not sugar free) 1/2 teaspoon every 6-8 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.