Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Right rear back leg is being held up and she is not putting

Customer Question

Right rear back leg is being held up and she is not putting weight on it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound. She yelped sunday after jumping out of bed and has been not laying on that side and keeping it up when walking
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mimi and 4 yoa
JA: How old is Mimi?
Customer: mixed breed small 13 pounds
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mimi?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mimi's leg. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

If she won't put any weight on the leg, she may have a broken toe or bone in her leg, or she may have torn a ligament in her knee. One of the most common reason for a dog to suddenly limp on a back leg is a torn ACL, anterior crucuiate ligament, inside the knee joint.

If she were mine, I would start her on pain medication (if it did not hurt, she would walk on it), gently feel from the toes up to the hip feeling each bone and joint, and possibly take an Xray. If it is just a broken toe, time and pain medication is all she may need. If she has torn an ACL, she may eventually walk on it again but it will always have some pain and arthtitis in it.

Your veterinarian could tell if this is a torn ACL by checking for a "drawer sign" in her knee. Having her checked by your veterinarian would be the best place to start. Until then you might try giving her 1/2 of a low dose or baby aspirin (but no other pain reliever but aspirin, no Tylenol, Advil, ALeve, etc.), once to twice daily, with some food. If she vomits, do not repeat the aspirin.

She damaged something in that leg if she is not putting any weight on it. I would get her checked out as soon as you can. Let me know what other of your questions I can answer, and if this was helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see what I sent; I did not hear back from you. How is Mimi doing? Please let me know if this was helpful and if you have any more questions.