petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

She's bitting off all of her hair front and back. back

Customer Question

she's bitting off all of her hair front and back . back mostly her skin is showing what can I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** about 3 years old and white as snow Pure POODLE
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diamond?
Customer: Yes she's smart
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

How long has this been going on?

Is Diamond on a flea prevention type product? Is so, which one?

Can you tell me what parts of her body specifically she is biting?

Has she been examined by your veterinarian for this yet?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's been going on for about 3weeks now when I take her to get groom she always say she do not have fleas she's always in the house she's mostly biting her bottom and legs and top part of her back she hasn't been examined yet I'm going to take her.
Expert:  petdrz replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Even if you are not seeing fleas, that doesn't rule out that she could have a flea allergy. Keep in mind that a dog with a flea allergy is different that a dog with fleas in that one flea bite can set off an allergic reaction that leads to itchy skin. If is not on any flea preventative type products, it makes this a very likely cause of her hair loss. Even of you are not seeing fleas, it doesn't mean that she is not getting an occasional flea bite. I have seen this on plenty pets that do not go outside. I would definitely make it a point to get Diamond on a safe and effective monthly product like Frontline Top Spot and see if the condition improves. As an additional measure, you might want to consider having Diamond examined by your vet to make sure there is nothing else going on and to determine if she may benefit from a short course of steroids. Since the fleas set off an allergic reaction, even if they are all removed today, the effect of the previous bite can last for weeks and steroids are often needed to break the itch cycle. There are other things to look for as well that can make a dog lose their hair like mange mites and ringworm. Your vet will have a better idea if further testing is needed to rule these things out after a thorough physical exam. If they are a possibility, it is good to rule them out as some skin conditions are contagious between dogs and even people, like ringworm.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z