Dr. M. Brink
Dr. M. Brink, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and BSc (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)

My dogs ear is swollen, also so s face, neck and jaw on that

Customer Question

My dogs ear is swollen, also so his face, neck and jaw on that side. He's breathing shallow but not rapid. Small amount of clear/blood tinge oozing from ear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Brink. I will do my best to help answer the question you have about your dog. What is is name? How long has this been going on for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hugo. I think 2 days. He chased a cat and my daughter said he slammed against the fence. Then yesterday she says it's swollen. I gave aleve. Then I'm at work last night, come home this morning and his neck and that side is very swollen.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oozing fluid

This sounds like Hugo could have seriously hurt himself. These sorts of symptoms can be caused by trauma, or from infection or from ear issues. I would recommend that he be seen by your local veterinarian as the symptoms you are describing sound like they need in person care. Also, Aleve (or Naproxen) is not designed to be used in dogs. You need to get appropriate pain management from your local veterinarian. Please make sure to tell them what dose of Aleve you gave, and when, so that they can help you and Hugo as best as is possible.

I am so sorry that you and Hugo are going through this! Do you have any further questions about the information I gave you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there something over the counter, that can help with the swelling. I don't think I can afford an office visit, much less all the labs and what nots. I'm sorry to say it, but it's true.

It is true that there is cost to all medical care. For dogs that have significant swelling there is, unfortunately, nothing that is safe that can be given over the counter. Hugo very likely needs a prescription pain reliever. Your local vet can also, after a physical exam is done, can also give you a much better idea of what to expect as time passes. As the symptoms that you have shared with me about Hugo are concerning, I strongly recommend that you seek veterinary care. You can always discuss budget with the veterinary team, and let them know your specific situation while ensuring that Hugo is not going to have pain and suffering.

There are some cases where there is no appropriate answer besides seeking veterinary care in person, and Hugo's case sounds like one of those. I am so sorry to hear about the accident! What a stressful time for you!

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. Also, would you kindly mind giving a rating? I truly wish you and Hugo the best.

Take care, Dr. Brink