petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My dog has a sinus infection, what can I give m? He's 10yrs

Customer Question

My dog has a sinus infection, what can I give him? He's 10yrs and 20lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Hudson today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

What symptoms is Hudson showing that make you think he as a sinus infection?

Is there nasal discharge? If so is it clear or is it yellow or green tinged?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His nose sounds clogged like when we have a cold, then he has a sneezing fit and sprays snot all over, he also flicks his tongue in and out.
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

It is possible that he could have a sinus or nasal cavity infection, but there are other things that can present with similar symptoms and need to be ruled out. Nasal foreign bodies, like grass or awns can become lodged in the cavity and produce all of the signs you describe. Another possibility is a polyp or mass in the nasal cavity. if there is discharge that he is spraying, it sounds as if it may be infected as well, in which case, an antibiotic would need to be prescribed. Your best course of action would be to have him evaluated by your veterinarian so that the proper diagnosis can be made and the appropriate medication prescribed. In the meantime, you can use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Dogs hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z