petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My just ate one of myhydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg pills. Will

Customer Question

My ***** ***** just ate one of myhydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg pills. Will he be ok?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: About 25 lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

While it is not a commonly used diuretic in dogs, it can be prescribed and when it is it is usually dosed at 2-4 mg/kg. For a dog of Jack's size, that would be considered within the therapeutic range. I am sure you will probably notice an increase in urination and you will want to make sure he has free access to fresh water, but a one time dose like this should present no problems.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z