Dr. Laurie
Dr. Laurie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship trained small animal veterinarian. Interestes: internal medicine, dermatology & oncology
40350296

My shih tzu headbutted my lip into my teeth, really hurt me.

Customer Question

Hi my shih tzu headbutted my lip into my teeth, really hurt me. But I'm worried now thar he has damaged his brain or something.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He went for a walk straight after and has seemed ok. I suffer badly with anxiety so need to get my mind at ease that he's OK or needs to go to the vet
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: It's not about his foot it's his head
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Laurie replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian. I’m sorry to hear that your Shih tzu butted into your head. I hope your teeth are doing ok. How is he currently doing at home? Is he displaying any abnormalities that you can tell?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He went straight for a walk and seemed fine on that. This was bout 45mins ago.

I have a feeling that since he wen tour a walk right after the incident that he is just fine and unfortunately you suffered the brunt of the injuries. Dogs heads have very strong sculls and can withstand a lot of trauma. I believe he is just fine. :)

If he truly had head trauma from this incident he would not have been alert enough to go for a walk and would not be acting normal - especially if it happened 45 minutes ago and he has already gone on a walk.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns. I’m glad that he is ok.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your reply, like I said I suffer with anxiety badly so I just needed to get some clarity about the situation. He's very alert if he hears a noise.

You are very welcome. I hope that I have eased your mind. He sounds like he is 100% normal so please don’t worry unless you notice him acting differently.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you again

Take care and have a great week!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Laurie

Good morning! How is your little Shih tzu doing today? I hope he is still doing well since he hit his head.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He's been fine, thabk you so much.

oh good, glad to hear it!