PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She has red lips... suddenly heavy breathing? Do worms cause

Customer Question

She has red lips... suddenly heavy breathing? Do worms cause any of this... Monday started diahrea... usually very active... good appetite... Sadie is 11 yrs old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sadie... part German Shepard mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?
Customer: A tree toad is missing.. I thought she might have taken it out of pool or worse yet.. eaten it ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, JACustomer.

We can certainly see that intestinal parasites can cause worms.

Has she had any change in food? Any new treats?

Toads can be an issue for dogs. What state do you live in?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
New York.... Tuesday afternoon she was much better...I gave her worming medicine Tuesday Night.... Didn t find any worms using microscope... Wed .. Sadie is fine... She could have eaten something in fenced back yard...

Microscopically, we find that fecal exams are not greatly effective at finding worms; the only thing that is commonly found are ovum (eggs) if the adults are reproducing. If she was negative, it's unlikely that she'd have had intestinal parasites, but possible.

If she did eat something in a fenced yard, this could certainly cause the symptoms. Especially if diarrhea was located. We can also see that changes in the diet can do this, if she were to have had a different type of food, treats or if human food might have been given.

I'm glad to hear that, as of today, she's feeling much better.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?