Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Her nose is wet and warm ,plus she had ves last week and the

Customer Question

her nose is wet and warm ,plus she had hives last week and the vet gave her a shot and she hasnt of benadryl.she has a lot of allergies.I'm not sure if she has an infection she has chewed her feet raw.we clean them 2 times a day.Our vet is away for the week .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ramona 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ramona?
Customer: She has many allergies and she not playful or eating much
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did you mean she is on Benadryl now?

How much are you giving and how often? How much does she weigh?

What are you cleaning them with?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the vet gave her a shot of benadryl ,she vomit 3 times in a 2 day period . after the shot .We are cleaning her feet in a aveno bath .She keeps water down but does not eat much .Her gums are pink .over the weekend she felt like she had a feaver and i wiped her down with cool rags . she feels fine now not hot temp wise .
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned for your lass.

To see all these signs together raises concerns of her GI signs being related to the allergic reaction (especially if the allergen was eaten) or that we have another issue brewing (ie gut infection, pancreatitis, dietary indiscretion, etc). And I would also note that if you are bathing her feet and she is then chewing them, then we may also have a gut upset related to the cleanser.

With all this in mind, we do need to approach this in a step-by-step manner. To start, she cannot be allowed to chew her feet. This may mean covering them with socks or using an e-collar for the short term.

If she settles, then we likely have our culprit. Otherwise, if she remains nauseous, we can try a bit of stomach supportive care. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Finally, if we can settle her stomach but her feet are still irritating her, then we’d need to address that as well. You can ring her vet about dispensing further treatment or at least consider continuing an oral antihsitamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions, is still nauseous (since this could upset the stomach further) or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns of this being directly or indirectly related to her recent skin issues. Therefore, we’d want to start the above just now to see if we can soothe her stomach and then her skin. If we can do so, we are happy. Though if these signs linger, we’d want a recheck with her vet to make sure there is nothing else present and to get her onto further treatments for each issue to nip this in the bud for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?