Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Yesterday my 6 lb Yorkie ate beach sand. Feces has sand in

Customer Question

Yesterday my 6 lb Yorkie ate beach sand. Feces has sand in it. Vomiting.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any black stools or blood in her vomit/diarrhea?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts as I am quite concerned about wee Lili.

Now we need to tread with care. Sand ingestion can be quite dangerous for our dogs.In large enough volumes, it can cause blockages. Furthermore, any dose can irritate and damage the gut to cause signs like those we are seeing since the sand itself is very abrasive and can inflame the gut itself.

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).Alternatively, we can even use a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia 0.25tspevery 8 hours) to soothe her nausea but also coat her stomach to reduce damage from the sand. Whichever you choose,we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course,do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese,scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Further to this,we’d also want to add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) to her food as this will bulk up her stools but also help coat the sand to reduce the abrasive damage to her gut as it pushes it through and out via the stool. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall,we do need to tread with care in situations like this since sand can cause serious gut harm. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, has any of those signs I initially asked about, or doesn’t respond to the above within a few hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check for blockages, and start heron gastroprotectants, anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach and get this all passed safely.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )