Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My basset hound is having issues with one front leg and both

Customer Question

my basset hound is having issues with one front leg and both back legs he is around 12 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I have not
JA: What is the basset hound's name?
Customer: Gus
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gus?
Customer: I found a foxtail in the stomach area was able to pull out but do not know if I got it all. The area looks like it may be infected
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had all these signs?

Are you seeing discharge or swelling from where you removed the foxtail? Is this causing him discomfort?

Any swelling of his joints or stiffness?

Is he worst when first rising but warms with exercise?

Any chance of a slip, fall, or over activity before he started having bother with his legs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I notice about a week ago he was have a hard time with his back legs, he then starting limping on his front leg. Tonight after I removed the foxtail he seems worse. I put a hot compact in the area were I removed the fox tail all I saw was blood. I took him for a walk tonight and it seems like it did not help. My wife seems to think he has also lost weight. there is nothing we have changed in his daily exercise.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have made a vet appointment
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Since you have made an appointment, would you like me to refer your question back to customer service?