PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She is panting heavy and her front legs have. Wen stiff and

Customer Question

Hi she is panting heavy and her front legs have. Wen stiff and not working. It has been 2 hours and her legs are now moveable but not working. She is drinking.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes we have checked her out totally. No signs of a wound. She was lethargic and unresponsive for 30 min.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Punky 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Punky?
Customer: Yorkie poo
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Good morning, JACustomer. Thanks for your question. it sounds like you may have witnessed a seizure with Punky. Has she had any episodes like this before? How is she acting now?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She was heavily panting for over 7 hours ( we fell asleesp with her) and her front legs would not work. Her heart rate was very fast. She drank water and would take a snack right after it started and would take water when we gave it to her. She would always watch us and seemed alert. She appears to be normal as of 4 am this morning.

Had she had any episodes like this before or is this the first?

How recently was blood work run on her, if at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No this was the first.
I don't think we ever had blood work done on her.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

As mentioned before, I am very concerned that this is seizure activity. In any case, having an exam won't hurt. It would be wise to go ahead and have blood work done on her to determine if there is any value that might give reason for these episodes. Most often we find that there is not, at which point we direct owners to begin logging these evidence.

Pinky's episodes took a very long time for her to come out of, so your vet may wish to try anti-convulsive therapy sooner than later. If this happens again, try to catch a video so that you can share it with your vet at her next visit. Also log the date, time, duration, symptoms that you're seeing, etc. This can all be instrumental in helping you vet decide a course of action for treatment.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.