PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Female doberman's head is shaking uncontrollably. We put

Customer Question

Female doberman's head is shaking uncontrollably. We put advantix 2 on her today, we use it regularly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Doberman's name and age?
Customer: Zoe... 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoe?
Customer: Shes been fixed/spayed.. thats about all..
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience. I am reviewing your question right now.

Thanks for your question, I am so sorry that you have not received a reply before now. Can you tell me more about Zoe?

1) Is she still shaking her head?
2) Is this side-to-side motion or shaking where her ears flop across her head (such as if she's shaking off)?
3) Any scratching at her hears?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No her head isn't shaking anymore. We laid her down and massaged her neck for abt 30 minutes and she seemed fine after that..
Her head wasn't shaking like she had ear mites, it was more like an up and down shake or tremor and she wasn't scratching at her ears.. It was shaking so fast it was Almost like a vibration. Like a neuromuscular involuntary tick. I've never seen anything like it before.
The only thing that I can think of is maybe she had like a diabetic crash. But shes never been diabetic that i'm aware of.Just seems kinda strange that we put the advantix 2 on her just a few hours before the episode... We put it on as per the directions, rated for a 50 lb dog. This will be her 2nd or 3rd dose this year.

Sometimes we can see see reactions to the medications we apply, but likely you'd have seen a reaction before now if this was something you'd used before.

I would be more concerned about a focal seizure based on the description. They look similar to this and can vary in severity from mild to more major (and can be up-and-down instead of side-to-side):

If this persists, I would talk to your vet about it. Make sure to log this one, including the duration and severity that you saw. If you can, in the future, capture a video so that another Expert, myself or your vet has a chance to see what you have seen. If you witness anymore in the future, also log those so that you can report their frequency to your vet. Typically these are idiopathic in nature, but if they persist your vet will want to run some blood work and may recommend other diagnostics to ensure that something underlying is not causing the symptoms. Also make sure to note how long after each Advantix application these are happening (if they recur).

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.