Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She has red bumps in her genital area .. One looks greenish,

Customer Question

She has red bumps in her genital area .. One looks greenish
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She has red bumps on her genital area and one looks greenish like pus
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 6 months , Nylah
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nylah?
Customer: She's bites and tries to chew everything
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

It sounds like Nylah might have a mild skin infection in this area. I can give you basic guidelines but if the area is not improving or there are more bumps in the next few days please consider a veterinary exam because oral antibiotics are likely going to need to be dispensed.

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a cone on to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the area if she has a large amount of hair in the area but please be cautious with scissors

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly around the vulva

7.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but also allow her to rest more comfortably

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!