Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Have a 6yr old Basset Hound and under her front armpits its

Customer Question

Have a 6yr old Basset Hound and under her front armpits its very red with some small black dots. Looks sore. I have had surgery and cannot drive so need help to soothe the problem
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the basset hound's name?
Customer: Daisy and she is a big girls with lots of wrinkles
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No she is good other than that. I would take her to vets but cannot get there and I know it hurts. I do have Gentamicin spray from my other basset Maddie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you know about how long it's been there?

Do you have someone who might be able to pick a few things up for her for you?

Any bleeding in the area?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No bleeding just very red and sore and its been about 3 days and yes someone can pick up something for me.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 months ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

If this were me, I would wash the area 2-3 times a day with warm water and a gentle soap (I like using baby shampoo as it doesn't sting and isn't drying). After washing it, rinse well and then pat dry.

After, you can apply a thin layer of a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin. Try to keep her from licking for 10-15 minutes after you apply it, that will give the medication a chance to sink in and get to work.

If this is just a minor skin infection, I would expect to see an improvement within a few days. If you don't, or if it gets worse, then you may need to have her seen by a vet, just in case they need to send out some antibiotics to help get things cleared up.

I hope this helps.