petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My 9 year old miniature dachshund began coughing last night,

Customer Question

My 9 year old miniature dachshund began coughing last night, mucus mostly. But it's more like a persistent gentle cough until he gags up the mucus. It's not a barking cough. He is eating and drinking normally and running around the yard. Ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

We do have to be concerned that the cough could be due to heart disease since that is much more common in smaller breed dogs as they age. Heartworm disease is another cause of cough in dogs who are not on preventative medication and who live in areas where heartworm is present. Besides cardiac causes, pulmonary conditions can be involved. Bronchitis causes inflammation of the upper airways and sometimes bacteria can then become involved as well. Lower airway disease such as pneumonia can also lead to coughing. Finally, lung cancers (either primary or metastatic) can lead to coughing as well.

Your best course of action is to have him evaluated by your veterinarian. A thorough physical exam along with listening to his heart and lungs will be very helpful in getting to the cause. Your vet may likely recommend chest xrays as well. After a tentative diagnosis is reached, the will better be able to discuss therapy with you.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, thank you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

You are most welcome. Good luck with him.

Expert:  petdrz replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz