PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have just bred my Doberman and need to board her. The Vet

Customer Question

i have just bred my Doberman and need to board her. The Vet clinic requires a Bordetella Vaccine and said it would be fine but everything I read online says not to vaccinate a pregnant bitch. Is it safe? The receptionist didn't know if they used the live or dead virus vaccine.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 12 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

It may be worth asking if they use injectable, oral or intranasal, as well, as these vaccines are on the market and some boarding facilities don't care which is given.

We try very hard not to vaccinate pregnant dogs, but this increases in importance the closer to term they become. I would contact this boarding facility and see if they will allow you to skip this vaccine for the time being because she is pregnant (and also inform them that they will be keeping a pregnant dog as some won't do this either). They may be willing to do this with a note from your vet certifying that the dog has been checked over a few days before boarding and is not having any symptoms and was also bred (pregnant) recently.

If they require you to vaccinate, you may have no choice but to vaccinate her unless you can find a different facility (not all require kennel cough vaccines). Most of the time there is no problem to the mother or the puppies from vaccines, but we try to avoid it because the risk is present.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, JACustomer. Were you able to get a determination by the boarding facility on whether or not they would allow you to skip this kennel cough vaccine since she was recently bred?