Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Well I have a 7 year old daubs, Werner dog and she has had

Customer Question

Well I have a 7 year old daubs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: Werner dog and she has had bright Yellow poop (which she has started to eat) and then this morning after eating a little food she threw up and it was the same yellow
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Also she has seemed to loss weight lately even though she is eating
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oh it made a mess however the only changes has been dog food but it was a slow change and we mixed with old food. Yesterday we did try a little wet food trying to get weight on her
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Her name is***** that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How long since the last time she vomited?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure how much she weights has to be less then 10 pounds. Not pre-existing conditions and she threw up about 45 minutes ago and that was the first time. She has had the yello poop for a few weeks now

1- Does she have diarrhea or loose stool?

2- Is she drinking more than usual?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She does not have diarrhea and the stool is not too loose. She is drinking same as normal

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the yellow color in feces is the presence of bile; this happens when the intestines are over active. The yellow color in the vomit is also bile. When we see vomiting and over active intestines this could be the result of a disorder within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Infections, absorption disorders (EPI), liver disease, neoplasia, etc. any of these conditions can also be responsible for the weight loss despite normal food intake.

In this case, unfortunately on history alone it will not be possible to determine the exact underlying cause. She needs to be seen by family veterinarian for a hands on examination, blood work, urinalysis, fecal analysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime this is what you can do for the vomiting and over active intestines:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination as described above. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter