Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He just wants to sleep. He'll eat it hasn't drank much

Customer Question

He just wants to sleep. He'll eat it hasn't drank much water. He did poop, played for a bit and now is asleep again. We gave him Durvet triple wormer and notice this change. Just wondering if this might be a side effect. Or did we just possibly give him too much he only weighs 2.8 pounds.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Chewy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chewy?
Customer: He usually wakes up at night at least twice to go to the bathroom at night. He did not wake us to do either last night. This morning he was awake but really wasn't calling for me to let him out of his crate normally he does.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you answer these questions?

1) How old is this guy?

2) What breed?

3) How long have you had him?

4) Has he been eating normally?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He was born on May 11th. He is a Dachshund. We have had him a 5 days. He has been eating normally.

That is good that he's been eating normally. In this situation, he may be still adjusting to all the new changes. He's a new puppy in a new house, experiencing new smells, sounds, activities, etc.. It isn't surprising that he's sleeping a lot. IF he wasn't eating, weak, breathing with more effort, coughing, having diarrhea, vomiting, etc.. then the situation would be more concerning. I would hope that with a little more time, he becomes a very active and entertaining puppy. I wouldn't expect the dewormer to do this to him. ONe thing that would be very good to do is to get your first veterinary visit here soon so they can check him over and get his vaccines all set up.