Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Labrador puppy is due to be spayed 15/7, she will be 6

Customer Question

my Labrador puppy is due to be spayed 15/7, she will be 6 months. Will the op stop her being so active?. I have owned Labradors before but never a puppy. Jan
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are wondering if spaying your young Labrador will change her activity level.

Spaying is primarily used to control reproduction and the nuisance of heats and attracting males, as well as greatly decrease the incidence of mammary cancer and prevent completely uterine and ovarian cancer and uterine infections.

Spaying her will not change her energy level.

It will decrease hormonal urges/drive to roam and find a mate but other than that she will have the same behavior and activity level as she always has.

Most young Labradors have an abundance of energy. They tend to settle down and become a bit calmer with social maturity, which is sometime between the ages of 2-3 years.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jan Palmer. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me. If you have further follow up questions feel free to respond with them, Dr. Kara.