Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog Cody has had trouble with s left rear leg. Yesterday

Customer Question

My dog Cody has had trouble with his left rear leg. Yesterday morning, he couldn't walk or stand up. Went to emergency vet and they put him on steroids and antibiotics. He hasn't gone to the #1 bathroom since 9 pm Saturday evening. This morning he had pooped laying down but no pee.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help Cody. How old is Cody?
Customer: 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cody?
Customer: I don't know exactly how old he is. That's an estimate--he's a rescue. We had him for 8 years but the vet thought he was 2 when we got him.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: He's alert and eating.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is Cody eating and drinking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't get any notice that you had responded. I had my phone with me

1- Can he stand now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no, and I just got my text

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, it sounds like Cody's inability to urinate is a combination of not being able to stand and/or he has lost the nervous input into the urinary bladder. In this case unfortunately we are limited as to what you can do at home. Cody needs to have a urinary catheter passed through his penis to empty his bladder, this is an emergency; untreated the bladder could rupture or suffer irreversible damage. I would strongly recommend taking him to ER veterinarian. Discuss with ER vet to teach you how to express his bladder at home.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.