Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My small dog has not eaten days and is very quiet .she

Customer Question

My small dog has not eaten for 2 days and is very quiet .she normally is very greedy ,always looking for food. She doesn't seem to be interested in eating or drinking much. She was sick a lot through the night but there was no food in it. Just liquid. Her poo is runny and looks quite a dark colour
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Millie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?
Customer: No just that she is never ill and this is very unusual for her not to eat. I have three other dogs and she tries to eat their food too
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was her stool black or just dark?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her belly seems to be bloated .i have cut her food down recently as she was putting on a lot of weight but she still seemed bloated. Her pooes looked a bit like blood but I wasn't sure like a very dark pinky colour.her gums look ok she doesn't seem to want to drink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

First, if her stools look like blood or are black (digested blood), then we need to be careful. This is because that can be a sign of hemorrhagic viral or bacterial infections (ie Salmonella, Campylobacter, Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, parvo, etc) but also stomach ulcers, stomach damage, and tumors. So, do keep a close eye and any more suspect stools and we'd want her seen urgently.

Otherwise, just to note, we can see this and nausea induced vomiitng and anorexia for a range of reasons. Our main concerns if this isn't bloody would be a potential bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach and get her feeling like eating. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though would note that if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to bulk up her stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk if Millie is drinking poorly, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this GI upset we are seeing but if you are seeing blood then we do need to tread with care. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, we see more questionable stool, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there (ingested or otherwise) or any sinister viruses or bacteria present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thankyou
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Best wishes for Millie,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?