Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

We had a litter of pups and the runtis not feeding because

Customer Question

we had a litter of pups and the runtis not feeding because it is being knocked aside by the big's about three weeks old lethargic and not responding what do we do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Poor wee pup!

First, if it is weak and non-responsive, then we'd be concerned that it has a low blood sugar from being starved. Therefore, to start, we need to boost that blood sugar and potentially actively warm it if chilled. In regards ***** ***** we can use to boost the blood sugar, we can rub a sugary syrup (ie karo, glucose, pancake syrup, etc) on the gums. Though if it doesn't respond to that, we may need the local vet to administer glucose supplemented fluids.

Otherwise, if we can get this little one through this situation, you may want to give him a 15min. head start with mum at feeding time or start supplementing him with bottle feeds. That way he has a shot to fill his wee stomach and avoid decompensation as we are seeing just now.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )