Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

I have a 12 year old Westie who has been well managed with

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old Westie who has been well managed with diabetes for 5 years - she has cataracts both eyes --totally blind - last week suddenly walking in circles - head tilted to left - falls down - with my vet for six days - a bit better but my husband and I think she is quite deaf - vet did blood work - giving antibiotics and said common in older dogs . I like him - my vet for 24 years - I have had many dogs but I need opinion in this - blind and deaf is no life for her but I don't know if she is deaf - if she will improve - I need advice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 8 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Are you available to text with me?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

OK. It sounds like her symptoms may be due to a condition called idiopathic vestibular syndrome, or "old dog vestibular syndrome"- does this sound right?

What I mean is...is this what your veterinarian was thinking Alice may have?

Hi- just checking in to see if you are still here...

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but she seems deaf - what should I do

OK good- thought you got lost there! I am going to type up a response, but before I do I just want to clarify a few more things. Apart from the deafness and blindness, and current balance issues, do you believe she has a good quality of life? Does she continue to do the things she enjoys?

Or does she seem to have lost most of her zest for life?

Sorry, I cannot take phone calls here. I can opt out so you can get a phone call with another veterinary expert if you like- however there may be a delay with this until someone is available.

Would you like me to turn the question over for you to wait for a phone call, or shall we continue here?

OK then, I will opt out so that someone else can take over that phone call for you. Take care!

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is*****

I will be pleased to call you on the phone ...

Please enter your phone number so I can call you back.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do not call me again - this is ridiculous - I answer and am left on hold for 10 minutes !? Terrible service you have -
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I decline any further contact with your very poor service - You keep asking for more miney - and that is not the issue - believe me !

I know this is frustrating for you, but if I can get your number I will call you back without delay and then will be glad to talk your dog's problems ove rwith you at length.

I will contact customer service on your behalf ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Christi Belew replied 8 months ago.

I noticed your request was still open, did you receive answers to your questions?