Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I think my dog ate a small amount of Crown Royal oil that

Customer Question

I think my dog ate a small amount of Crown Royal oil that was in some Mac and cheese for a cancer patient. Maybe the size of a rice grain. She threw up and is having the shakes. She is 50 lbs. I gave her 3 baby aspirin in a hot dog and she is laying down right now. Any worries?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The THC is pretty high...around 90%. I don't know what else to do besides monitor her.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She can't walk right now either. I am assuming time will fix this but just wanted to make sure.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This is a very small amount of this cannabis related product so normally I would not be too concerned, but as you say this is a very potent formulation. An obvious problem in your case is that it is impossible to calculate precisely how much was ingested.

2. Actually normally cannabis is not that poisonous to dogs, in fact it takes about 1.5 grams of marijuana per pound of body weight to cause death.

3. Deaths from cannabis poisoning in dogs are not common, but adverse symptoms such as animals becoming sleepy, vomiting, uncoordinated and having hallucinations or seizures are common, it is surprising how often dogs get access to these drugs.

4. While there are no guarantees, in my experience the vast majority of dogs exposed to cannabis products fully recover within 24 hours without any treatment. However some dogs would experience very bad symptoms and require hospitalisation, and intensive care with IV fluids etc.

5. My advice is that if you see any more serious symptoms you should take your dog to a vet as soon as possible even if you have to use an emergency vet. Better safe than sorry.

6. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you....

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

In my experience most dogs pull through this sort of incident, but do not take risks ...

I will be standing by if I can help you further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks....you are not American I see!

No I am Scottish ... I qualified in Scotland in 1980 and have spent my time treating dogs and cats since then ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the crown royal oil ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?