Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Major allergies and is due vaccination... should I have a

Customer Question

major allergies and is due for rabies vaccination... should I have a titter test done for now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If your Cocker has not had an issue with the rabies vaccination in the past I would advise continuing to administer the vaccination depending on your county and state regulations. The primary reason we do not update vaccinations is when there is an immune mediated condition or cancer that is linked to this possible vaccination. With seasonal/ environmental and food allergies I would still vaccinate because laws do require it in the US.

In addition, heaven's forbid even the nicest dogs bite someone then the risk of rabies cannot be taken off the table and either quarantine or the most awful thing of having to remove his head for testing maybe required so it is really best to maintain the rabies vaccination. In most states now this is every 3 years so the risk of issues regarding the vaccination are minimal.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!