Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a very gentle even somewhat timed golden retriever, 2

Customer Question

I have a very gentle even somewhat timed golden retriever, 2 years old. My son is visiting from Japan with a one year old baby. My gentle dog is growling at the baby when she has never growled at any thing before. What is this all about?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Ana. Basically Ana is not comfortable with the situation that is at hand. This "new" person in the environment is one that she's not been exposed to before and this is how she's showing it. Something about this two year old - sound, smell, and mannerisms is making her uncomfortable. I would in this situation give great caution about that child being around Ana at all. I personally would keep them separated at all times as the chance for a bite is there. This is something that maybe with time and proper introductions, a comfort level will build up but I wouldn't expect that during this trip.