Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Our shihpoo has just come on heat and she has ,1 been

Customer Question

hi our shihpoo has just come on heat and she has ,1 been scratchig her her ear ears madly and now tonight she vomited up a white liquid. like whe you burb a baby that sort of thickness.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: um not but she has been getting very emotional when we leave the house. Howling and when we get back she is still doing it.. could it be her her hormones because of her being on heat?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dakota
JA: How old is Dakota?
Customer: well this is her second season.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dakota?
Customer: we have birds in the house but we are very carefll when we let them out to fly to quickly clean up any stray dropings and i dont undstand why she is scraching her ears a whimpering asif something is in there .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Dakota is not feeling good. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Her being in heat should not make her ears itch madly and also should not cause vomiting. Ears can get itchy if she is having an allergic reaction to something: insect bite or sting, something she ate or came into contact with. She could have something in her ears like a tick, or a grass seed. You can only see about 1/3 of the ear canal from outside; you need an otoscope to look for things in the ear near the eardrum.

You can try giving her some Benadryl; how much does she weigh?

The vomiting could also be related to an allergic reaction or something she ate.

If her gums are pink, that is a good sign. Let me know how much she weighs, and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you were able to see what I wrote! How is she doing? Can I answer anything else? If this was helpful, please let me know.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?