petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

My dog received a convenia injection yesterday bacterial

Customer Question

My dog received a convenia injection yesterday for a bacterial infection. Her blood test showed all her organs were functioning normally. I am concerned because she still is lethargic and has no appetite. How long after the injections should I see signs of improvement?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Margie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Did Margie have a fever?

Where was the bacterial infection? What were her symptoms that made your vet feel that there was a bacterial infection?

Was her white blood cell count elevated?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She had a fever and her white blood cell count was elevated. She was given a covenia injection. How long before I should see an improvement in her condition?
Expert:  petdrz replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Without knowing what the tentative diagnosis was or what your vet was treating, it is hard for me to say when to expect her to improve. In most cases of bacterial infections, we would expect to see improvement (but not full resolution) in about 24 - 36 hours. Keep in mind however, that not always does a fever mean there are bacteria involved and inflammation, due to other sources, can lead to fever and lethargy. If the problem was due to an inflammatory process and not a bacterial infection, we would not expect the convenia to have any effect at all and her symptoms would persist until the cause of the inflammation was identified and treated. I would urge you to definitely get back in touch with your vet if you are not seeing improvement soon.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 4 months ago.
Hi Irma Smith,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Margie. How is everything going?