Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog's belly is making a lot of noise. He kept waking us

Customer Question

My dog's belly is making a lot of noise. He kept waking us last night to go out, but when he went out all he did was eat grass (hence the noise in his belly?) this morning he refused bkfst and he is very listless. I have 10mg compazine tabs for migraine nausea. My dog is a coonhound and weighs 60 lbs. may I've him the compazine to ease his tummy?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting? Any diarrhea?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you yet, but wanted to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now when we have GI upset and nausea in dogs, we do need to tread with care. Though as long as you are sure he hasn’t eaten anything harmful, then you can consider using the Compazine to reduce his nausea here. For a dog his size, we could give a 30mg dose every 12 hours to counter nausea.

Afterwards, we’d want to plant to also start an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled

So, in regards ***** ***** questions, we can use this to reduce his nausea. Though if there is any chance he ate anything harmful or doesn’t settle within 12-24 hours using the above, then we’d want to plan to follow up with the family vet so that our nausea triggers (ie gut infections, pancreatitis, harmful ingestions, etc) can be identified and further treatment started as needed to get his stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )