How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11133
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a new rescue labrador who was eating berries from

Customer Question

we have a new rescue labrador who was eating berries from our serviceberry in the backyard. is this toxic?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: little purple berry
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no. he is a healthy 70 lb two year old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

The serviceberry is in the plant genus / family called Amelanchier.

This plant is not one that I would consider safe for your landscaping if you have dogs.

The serviceberry contains toxins called cyanogenic glycosides.

When ingested they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a lack of oxygen in the blood (cyanosis), a slow heart rate, breathing changes and if a lot is ingested, even seizures.

While grazing animals such as cattle (who would eat a lot) are more susceptible to toxicity, dogs when ingesting the plant / berries can have similar signs.

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

I would definitely advise removing this plant from the area where your dog is exposed or at least sectioning it off in the future to prevent further ingestion of berries

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 5 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman