Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Over night my dog has a large soft post on s left ear near

Customer Question

Over night my dog has a large soft post on his left ear near the tip of his left ear, (or flap of his ear). What can I do, he does seem too be in pain. Could this be a hematoma or something ear that can be treated at home? It is the weekend and I'm not sure what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help you today.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 months ago.

You are likely correct, in your suspicion that this is probably an Aural Hematoma, which is basically a pocket of blood and fluid in the ear flap. It's often caused by excessive scratching or head-shaking, sometimes as a result of an ear infection. This is a condition that traditionally was treated surgically, but many cases do NOT require surgery, as the fluid will eventually reabsorb. I typically do not recommend draining these hematomas, as they often fill back up again very quickly. In most cases, treating the underlying ear infection, if any, is all that is needed. As the hematoma resolves, the ear flap may wrinkle or curl, so in cases where that is undesirable, such as for a show dog, surgery might be more beneficial.

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew