Katie Volat
Katie Volat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Veterinary Hospital
94509965

My dachshund is coughing every 10 min and wheezing. Throwing

Customer Question

My dachshund is coughing every 10 min and wheezing. Throwing up yellow clear liquid. Vet is closed. Should I be concerned? Just adopted him a week ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dachshund eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. We have been giving him some chew sticks here and there. This started yesterday.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dachshund?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Katie Volat replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. KV. I'm here to help with your new pup.

Can you tell me a bit more...is his appetite normal? Was he recently neutered?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He was neutered shortly before we got him.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Normal appetite.

Ok, great thank you for the information. Do you know if he received the bordetellla vaccine for kennel cough?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
See attached. Doesn't look like it

Great, thanks for that...very helpful. Since it looks like he did not get the kennel cough vaccine, it is possible that he may have picked up an upper respiratory infection. This is a very common, very contagious infection that dogs can get at the shelter or within a few weeks of leaving the shelter. The other possibility is that he has eaten something that caused irritation to his throat. Have you seen him chewing on any cords or hard chew toys?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. He hasn't eaten anything odd. Just chewy rawhide sticks here and there. See pic.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Trying to attach video but not working

Those should be fine. If he has kennel cough, he may need to get antibiotics and a cough suppressant if he is coughing very frequently. It is best to quarantine dogs and ensure they rest their airways as much as possible to help clear the infection quickly. Dogs with kennel cough usually are energetic with normal appetites. If it is something else, he would be lethargic and likely not eating well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just started yesterday. Hard for me to tell. We are getting to know him. I'll take him to vet tomorrow as long as u think this is not an emergency and needs to be seen today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also he was in a foster home not a typical shelter. Was there for about a month. Came from Kentucky and may have been in a shelter there though.

As long as he is eating and breathing comfortably, with nice pink gums, and not uncomfortable, it should be ok to wait. If he seems very uncomfortable or if you see more bile and vomit, then it would be good to take him to a local ER vet today.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks.

You're welcome. Congratulations on your new adoption. I hope you have many happy years together. Feel free to reach out if I can assist you further.

With appreciation,

Dr. KV