Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has red bumps and a larger bump on the paw..i found

Customer Question

hello my dog has red bumps and a larger bump on the paw..i found it today and it seems to be bothering her. The dogs name is ***** ***** is three years old. She is a shar pei hound mix.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do they appear to look like pimples/pustules or are they fleshy?

Is she licking or scratching the area?

Any history of trauma or running through grass or other plants?

How much Benadryl did you give and how much does he weigh?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
half a pill, less than 1mg and 70 pounds. they do look like larger pimps and they are only on her back legs. shes licking the larger one which looks like a benin tumor or whatever. no history of trama
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is there a way i can send pictures
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I am currently typing my reply but you can post photos using the paperclip icon or post on any site you can and paste the link here for me.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay i will do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

That would be great, I will keep my eyes peeled for them. :)

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i sent a picture into a email is that alright?
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/chorp2/mobile%20uploads/image.jpeg but heres a link as well
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if it doesnt load go into mobile uploads its the only picture there
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

That website is fine to use, but the page says the photo was deleted. If you could try once more for me?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
click into mobile uploads its a link it i will pop up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Bingo, I can see it now. :)

Let me put together a reply for you

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

First, I would note that we do appear to have a few different lump types here. There appears to be a skin tag on the leg but otherwise the leg and belly bumps are a combination of bacterial induced microabscesses/pimples but also allergic lesions. Seeing both, I do suspect the allergy was first but grooming/irritation of the area has allowed bacteria to take advantage to cause these pustule type lesions.

With this in mind, the Benadryl was a good first step. Thouhg the dose you gave was much too low to have any effect. For a 70lb dog, they need at least 35mg every 8- 12 hours to reduce the allergy component of this.

Otherwise, we’d want to bathe the affected skin with a mild antiseptic like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water. This can be done 2-3 times per day Or since it does look like this may be a bit more diffuse up her belly, you could also consider using Malaseb shampoo (a great antibatcterial/antifungal shampoo we use with dogs and can be bought at regular strength online at sites like Amazon or full strength at vets). Afterwards, make sure to pat the area dry and you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) twice daily to counter the infection. And to reduce any irritation, you can alternate this with OTC hydrocortisone cream as well. Finally, if she is licking or scratching these areas, we may need to block her access using an ecollar +/- shorts to cover the area and protect it from self trauma.

Overall, it looks like we initially had an allergic dermatitis but that bacteria are taking advantage of the situation. So, we’d want to start the above to reduce as much of this as possible. Though since it is quite diffuse, if we struggle to get it under control or she is very irritated, then we’d want her local vet to start oral antibiotics and steroids to treat this from the inside out and help us get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
would something like cephalexin help with this?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

Cephalexin is an antibiotic we do use for these types of skin issue, though we'd need to be giving a ~350mg dose every 12 hours for 7-10 days if we were using this as a treatment.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bossy. How is everything going?

nekovet